Monday, June 1, 2009

1st Full Day in Paris
This is our third visit to France and previously we have taken a few days in Paris to get over jet lag and then after travelling thru France, we take a week in Paris before returning home. We love the atmosphere of Paris and after spending so much time here it is becoming familiar - although we still get lost, it is all part of the adventure.
Our morning started with a visit to the market down on Boulevard Richard Lenoir near Place De La Bastille where we met a fellow Bayside Bandido cycling mate Marcus three years ago. Sue thought this was one of the better markets she has shopped at over out time in France. Our favourite was purchased - breast of Canard (Duck) along with white asparagus and some various smelly fromages. Yum, yum….
After shopping I threw on the lycra for a death defying ride in Paris to the Bois de Vincennes, a forest and parkland for the citizens of Paris to enjoy. On this Sunday they were out in their 1000s, enjoying a balmy spring day. Families on bikes, roller skates, horses or just walking. You can tell its spring with many young couples walking hand in hand.
The Park has a chateau, zoo, sports stadium, velodrome and hippodrome (horse racing course) as well as many soccer grounds with a huge forest within. On my ride a squirrel ran across my path and up into a tree - how good is that?
As per normal, I lost my way home and decided to ask advise from the local gendarmes who happened to be beside me on the road. So, in my usual suave manner, I said, “ G’day, can ya tell me which way to Bastille”. Strangely, they were not amused by my antics but never the less they did point me in the right direction (without a smile).
At the next set of lights, they were beside me again, and I said “ This way mate?”. With a nod and a stern look, he agreed. So I flicked him a thumbs up and took off home. The rural police have so much more humour than their Paris equivalents.
We made contact with my Son’s girlfriend Ashley and enjoyed a few wines and nibbles before she returned to her backpacker’s hotel for a well earned sleep after her long travel.

Tomorrow we plan to visit the grave sites of Oscar Wilde, Sarah Bernhardt, Maria Callas, Chopin, Stephane Grappelli, Modigliani, Edith Piaf, Rossini and of course, Doors lead singer Jim Morrison at the Cemetiere Du Pere Lachaise which is within walking distance from our apartment.